- recurrent pregnancy loss
- immune problems in fertility
- pre-conception counseling
- polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- medical problems in pregnancy such as diabetes, obesity, epilepsy etc.
- Full private Obstetric service including antenatal and postnatal care and delivery at Epsom hospital and the Portland hospital, London.
- recurrent miscarriages
- reproductive immunology
- thrombosis, renal disease and obstetric cholestasis.
- Diabetes in preganancy
- Obesity in pregnancy
- MRCOG Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists 1997
- MRCPI Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 1998
- FRCOG Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists 2009
- FRCOG Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 2010
- Subspecialist Registrar in Maternal Medicine: 01.08.99 – 01.04.01. Dept of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, St.Thomas’s Hospital, London.
- Senior Registrar in Obstetrics & Gynaecology: 01.08.98 – 31.07.99. St Helier’s Hospital, Surrey.
- Specialist Registrar in Obstetrics & Gynaecology: 01.05.95 – 31.07.98 Rotation – South West Thames, London / Surrey
National & International Committees
- British Maternal and Fetal Medicine Society : Executive committee member, National Trainees Representative – Elected at annual meeting March 2000 – 2002
- Physicians for Human Rights PHR (UK) : Executive committee member. An international independent human rights organization – Elected at annual meeting 1996 – 2001
- Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health (CEMACH)
- Panel assessor – Diabetes London Region – 2004 to 2005
- South West Thames Diabetes Pregnancy Group
- Founder and chairman – 2003 to date
- McDonald (UK Maternal Medicine) Club
- Active member – London Region – 2001 to date
- International Society of Obstetric Medicine (ISOM) – Member from 2004 to date
- Council memeber – Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists – September 2016 to date
- Haematological profile of women in pregnancy and the puerperium – 1993/94 – Colchester. Essex County Trustees – £12,000
- The role of steroids in recurrent miscarriages – 2002. Epsom & St Helier Trsut R&D Fund + Lister hospital – £35,000
- Iron supplementation in pregnancy – 2002. Epsom & St Helier Trsut R&D Fund – £13,000
- The role of cytatin C in pregnancy – 2002. Epsom & St Helier Trust R&D Fund – £28,000
- Diabetes in pregnancy – 2009 to date. Epsom & St Helier Trust R&D Fund – £100,000
- Waist Circumference in pregnancy – 2009 to date. Epsom & St Helier Trust R&D Fund – £125,000
- Metformin in obese pregnant women (MOP) trial – 2010 to date. Epsom & St Helier Trust R&D Fund and Fetal Medicine Foundation – £250,000
Elfituri A, Ali A, Shehata H
Managing Recurring Obstetric Cholestasis With Metformin.
Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Dec;128(6):1320-1323.
Syngelaki A, Nicolaides KH, Balani J, Hyer S, Akolekar R, Kotecha R, Pastides A, Shehata H.
Metformin versus Placebo in Obese Pregnant Women without Diabetes Mellitus.
N Engl J Med. 2016 Feb 4;374(5):434-43. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1509819.
Beatrice Mosimann,Marion Wagner,Hassan Shehata, Leona C. Y. Poon, Brian Ford, Kypros H. Nicolaides, and Amolak S. Bansal. Natural Killer Cells and Their Activation Status in Normal Pregnancy. International Journal of Reproductive Medicine. Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 906813, 8 pages J. Balani, S. Hyer, A. Johnson, H. Shehata The importance of visceral fat mass in obese pregnant women and relation with pregnancy outcomes
Obstetric Medicine 03/2013; 7(1):22-25. DOI:10.1177/1753495X13495192
J. Balani, S. Hyer, A. Johnson, H. Shehata
Pregnancy outcomes after metformin treatment for gestational diabetes: a case-control study. Obstet Med June 2012 5:78—82; published ahead of print 23 April 2012, doi:10.1258/om.2012.110092
Bansal, A.S., Bajardeen, B., Shehata, H., Thum, M.-Y.
Recurrent miscarriage and autoimmunity. (2011) Expert Review of Clinical Immunology, 7 (1), pp. 37-44.
Kate Bramham, David Makanjuola, Wael Hussein, Debra Cafful, and Hassan Shehata
Serum cystatin is not a marker of glomerular filtration rate in pregnancy
Obstet Med September 2009 2:121—122; doi:10.1258/om.2009.090019
Hyer, S.L. , Balani, J. , Johnson, A. , Shehata, H.
Metformin treatment for gestational diabetes.
(2009) British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease, 9 (5), pp. 220-225.
Balani, J., Hyer, S.L., Rodin, D.A., Shehata, H.
Pregnancy outcomes in women with gestational diabetes treated with metformin or insulin: A case-control study.
(2009) Diabetic Medicine, 26 (8), pp. 798-802.
Shehata, H., Gharaibeh, A., Bramham, K., Lamb, G., Makanjuola, D.
Uterus didelphys in mosaic trisomy 8 patient: Management and fertility issues.
(2008) European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, 141 (1), pp. 91-92.
Kapoor, N., Sankaran, S., Hyer, S., Shehata, H.
Diabetes in pregnancy: A review of current evidence.
(2007) Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 19 (6), pp. 586-590.
Thum, M.-Y., Abdalla, H.I., Bhaskaran, S., Harden, E.L., Ford, B., Sumar, N., Shehata, H., Bansal, A.
The relationship of systemic TNF-α and IFN-γ with IVF treatment outcome and peripheral blood NK cells.
(2007) American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, 57 (3), pp. 210-217.
Thum, M.-Y., Abdalla, H.I., Bhaskaran, S., Harden, E.L., Ford, B., Sumar, N., Shehata, H., Bansal, A.S.
The effect of serum concentration of leukaemia inhibitory factor on in vitro fertilization treatment outcome.
(2006) American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, 55 (1), pp. 76-80.
Hyer, S.L., Shehata, H.A.
Gestational diabetes mellitus.
(2005) Current Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 15 (6), pp. 368-374.
Thum, M.Y., Bhaskaran, S., Bansal, A.S., Shehata, H., Ford, B., Sumar, N. , Abdalla, H.I.
Simple enumerations of peripheral blood natural killer (CD56+ NK) cells, B cells and T cells have no predictive value in IVF treatment outcome.
(2005) Human Reproduction, 20 (5), pp. 1272-1276.
Shehata, H.A., Ahmed, K.
Other endocrine disorders in pregnancy.
(2004) Current Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 14 (6), pp. 387-394.
Thum, M.Y., Bhaskaran, S., Abdalla, H.I., Ford, B., Sumar, N., Shehata, H., Bansal, A.S.
An increase in the absolute count of CD56dimCD16+CD69+ NK cells in the peripheral blood is associated with a poorer IVF treatment and pregnancy outcome.
(2004) Human Reproduction, 19 (10), pp. 2395-2400.
Rao, A., Sairam, S., Shehata, H.
Obstetric complications of twin pregnancies.
(2004) Best Practice and Research: Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 18 (4), pp. 557-576.
Bhide, A., Shehata, H.A.
Respiratory disease in pregnancy.
(2004) Current Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 14 (3), pp. 175-182.
Shehata, H.A., Okosun, H.
Neurological disorders in pregnancy.
(2004) Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 16 (2), pp. 117-122.
Shehata, H.A., Nelson-Piercy, C.
Drugs to avoid.
(2001) Best Practice and Research: Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 15 (6), pp. 971-986.
Arya, R., Shehata, H.A. , Patel, R.K. , Sahu, S., Rajasingam, D., Harrington, K.F., Nelson-Piercy, C., Parsons, J.H.
Internal jugular vein thrombosis after assisted conception therapy.
(2001) British Journal of Haematology, 115 (1), pp. 153-155.
Shehata, H.A., Nelson-Piercy, C., Khamashta, M.A.
Management of pregnancy in antiphospholipid syndrome.
(2001) Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, 27 (3), pp. 643-659.
Infections in pregnancy.
(2000) Current Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 10 (4), pp. 225-228.
Shehata, H.A., Nelson-Piercy, C.
Drugs to avoid in pregnancy.
(2000) Current Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 10 (1), pp. 44-52.